Text Size


When you are ending a relationship, your pension may not be the first thing you think about. But getting divorced does have a significant influence on your pension. Below you will find a summary of the most important issues to consider, if you were married or registered as partners, or cohabited. If you would like more information, or if you need help, then contact us. We will be pleased to help you.

Divorce, or ending a registered partnership

We receive automatic notification of a divorce or the ending of a registered partnership via the municipality. If you do not make any other agreements, then your ex-partner is legally entitled to half of the retirement pension that you built up during the course of your marriage or registered partnership. This means that your pension will be lower.

Both your own pension and that of your ex-partner commence as soon as you retire. We continue to make payment until your death. If your ex-partner dies, we add their share back to your pension.

The partner's pension that you have accrued up to your divorce is also for your ex-partner. Your pension is lower, because part of it goes to your partner. Your ex-partner receives this partner's pension after your death.

Do you have insurance for Surviving Dependents Act shortfall pension? Then we automatically cancel that insurance as soon as we receive notification of the divorce, via the municipality.

A different allocation

You may can also allocate the retirement pension differently. The agreements you have made about this may be contained in the marriage or partnership conditions. If not, then agree together on the allocation and record what you have agreed in the divorce agreement. Fill in the form Allocation of retirement pension upon divorce, and send this together with the agreements you have made and a copy of the divorce agreement to us, within 2 years of the divorce. Then we will organise the allocation.

Your ex-partner may also decide to waive their part of the partner's pension, by filling in the form Declaration of waiver of special partner's pension and sending this to us. Tell PME what allocation you have chosen within 2 years, both for the retirement pension and the partner's pension. Then we can process this in our administration and the entitlements will be stated correctly in My PME and on your UPO. If you inform us after more than 2 years, then we need both your signature and your ex-partner's signature.

Conversion: a personal pension for your ex-partner

The two of you can also opt for conversion: then we convert the part of your retirement pension and special partner's pension that is allocated to your ex-partner into a personal pension for them. This pension is then no longer connected with your pension, the date when you retire, or the date of your death. Your ex-partner decides when their pension commences. But if your ex-partner should die, their part of the pension does not come back to you. Upon your death your ex-partner is no longer entitled to partner's pension from you.

Ending cohabitation

Have you been cohabiting in combination with a cohabitation agreement or declaration? Then your ex-partner is entitled to the partner's pension that you have built up prior to your separation. This means that your pension will be lower. NB: you need to notify us personally that you are no longer cohabiting. Otherwise we cannot make all the arrangements.

Your ex-partner can also decide to waive the partner's pension. They can inform us of this with the form Declaration of waiver of special partner's pension. Moreover, your ex-partner is not entitled to part of your own retirement pension.

What do you need to do?

  1. Discuss with your ex-partner how you want to allocate your pension.

  2. Notify us of what you have agreed within 2 years of the date of divorce. If you want to deviate from the standard allocation, then we will also need the consent of your ex-partner.

  3. Have you been cohabiting in combination with a cohabitation agreement or declaration and are you ending the cohabitation? Then it is important that you contact us.

Good to know

  • Have you previously been divorced? Then your first ex-partner may be entitled to part of your pension, unless something else was agreed. This reduces the allocation for the new ex-partner.
  • After allocation, the pension for your ex-partner may not be less than € 503,24 (2021) gross per year.
  • Were you divorced abroad? Then let us know by sending us certified copies of the marriage deed and proof of divorce. Tell us at the same time how you have agreed to allocate the pension.
  • Are both of you building up a pension with PME? In that case, both of you should send us a form: Allocation of retirement pension on divorce, on which you state your choice regarding the allocation of the pension.