You want to know what happens when you have lost your job and get unemployment benefits (WW). The answer: you can continue to build up pension with us as long as you receive WW.
When to continue building up pension
You can continue to build up pension, but you don't have to. Whether this is the right choice for you depends on your income and expenses after your retirement. And whether you can pay the contribution now.
- Check whether you can pay these extra costs when you have no or a lower income. You pay the entire contribution yourself.
- It is wise to make an overview of your income and expenses after your retirement. Check whether you need to continue to build up pension to have enough money then.
- When you stop building up pension with PME, you also no longer build up partner pension with us. So also consider whether your partner will have enough income if you die.
How do I continue to build up pension?
- You pay half the pension contributions yourself, we pay the other half. You may be able to deduct the contributions on your income tax return. If you have any questions, it is best to contact the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration.
- You build up 70% of your pension. This applies to your own pension and to your partner and orphan’s pensions if you pass away.
- You accrue pension over your salary up to an amount of €86,202 gross per year (amount for 2023).
- Did you earn more than €86,202 gross per year and build up pension over this amount with PME? Then you can continue to build up pension over this higher salary (up to €128,810 (2023)). You do pay all of the pension contributions on this part yourself.
- Have you taken out additional partner pension insurance (Anw gap insurance)? This insurance continues without any additional costs for as long as you receive WW.
Make arrangements on time: apply within 1 year
Would you like to carry on accruing pension with us? Apply within 1 year of ending your job by using the Pension accrual at your own cost form (pdf).
You can carry on accruing pension if you receive SPAWW benefits after your unemployment (WW) allowance ends. Please send us a letter confirming your entitlement to SPAWW and benefit specification within a month of starting this benefit. Your pension accrual is subject to the same conditions as during your WW benefits.
Do you have a new job? In that case your pension accrual with us comes to a end. If you wish, you can have your pension transferred to your new pension fund.